Refreshing, colorful and flavor-packed, chimichurri is by far one of the most deliciously versatile sauces out there. Initially, your taste buds are greeted with the brightness of fresh parsley then the bitterness of the oregano follows which is joined by a pungent note of garlic. Those flavors are enhanced by fruity acidity from both the lemon juice and red wine vinegar while the red chili paired with the oleocanthal present in extra-virgin olive oil elicits a subtle burn in the back of the throat that keeps you coming back. Although commonly served over grilled meats, the Argentinian sauce can be used as a marinade or poured out of a Puking Kitty Gravy Boat over mashed potatoes in place of gravy for a light, bright side. For the best result, use the freshest herbs you can find and a good quality olive oil. As for the heat, if you don’t have a red chili on hand, add a pinch of crushed red pepper instead.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
- 1 cup firmly packed fresh flat-leaf parsley, thick stems trimmed
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 red chili, deseeded
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon zest
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- Add the parsley to the bowl of a food processor with the garlic, red chili, and oregano.
- Pulse until the ingredients are finely chopped.
- Transfer to a bowl then add the oil, vinegar, lemon juice, and zest. Stir.
- Season with salt and black pepper. Stir again.
- Serve immediately or cover with plastic and chill to use at a later time. Bring chimichurri to room temperature before using.
Note: Chimichurri can be stored in an airtight container and chilled for up to a week.
As always, if you try this recipe, we'd love to see it with your kitty boat in action! Tag @PukingKittyGravyBoat on Facebook or Instagram.